"Not that I'm not grateful," said Aven, "but I wish you'd stop bringing that up. I was perfectly willing to sacrifice myself so the rest of you could carry on."
"And what good would that have done?" Jack said indignantly.
"For starters," Aven told him, "the Indigo Dragon wouldn't have been wrecked. And you'd already have been halfway to Paralon to bring more help."
"And you'd be dead," said Jack. "I just couldn't let that happen."
"And I'm appreciative," said Aven. "But if our positions had been reversed, I'd have done the same."
Jack smirked and shook his head. "There wasn't time."
Aven stared at him. "What's that supposed to mean? You had time to save me."
"Of course I did," said Jack matter-of-factly. "I'm a man. We're made to think more quickly."
Bert had just enough time to exclaim, "Oh, dear," before Aven swung her fist and clocked Jack square on the chin, knocking him backwards into the balloon, which was still under repair. (...)
Aven rubbed her knuckles and looked at the others. "Sorry about that. I might have stopped myself from hitting him, but I didn't think of it quickly enough."
from The Search for the Red Dragon by James A. Owen
No comments:
Post a Comment