onto it, knowing what is coming next. I feel Mutt’s gaze on me, and when I meet it, his mouth twists. This was not meant to be a race between Miracle and Sweeter, but I see now that there’s no way that it won’t be.
Sweeter leaps out. Miracle is only a moment behind as I give her some rein. We streak along the pale
gallop, its surface striped with blue shadows. The air screams by my ears, cold and painful. The shadows
are so heavy that both fillies mistake them for real things and lift their knees, jumping invisible hurdles.
Mutt glances over at me to see how far I am, but he needn’t bother. We’re right on him. Shoulder to
shoulder, the fillies surge down the track. Speedwise, I know the fillies are evenly matched, but I also know
that only half of racing is how fast your horse is. I’ve been on this gallop hundreds of times on hundreds of
horses, and I know where the incline starts, I know where the ground is soft by the rail, and I know where the horses slow and stare at the tractor parked near the road. I know everything there is to know about Miracle, too, how she likes to run herself out if you don’t keep her in check, how much I’ll need to push her to keep her strong up the incline, how to wave my crop just a bit to keep her attention on the task at hand and not the tractor.
All Mutt knows is how to beat the hell out of his mount as he’s losing.
I know I should hold Miracle back. I know I should let Mutt and Sweeter finish first.
I feel the buyers’ eyes on me.
I lean forward and whisper to Miracle. Her ear tips back at me, and I release the reins.
It’s not even a contest.
Miracle pulls away from Sweeter by one length, two lengths, three lengths, four, not even breathing that
hard. Mutt is bogged down somewhere in the wet ground near the rail, Sweeter slow and inattentive.
I turn around, standing in my stirrups, and salute Mutt Malvern with my crop.
I know it’s a deadly game I’m playing.
“Not a jockey?” Holly says to me as I walk Miracle back into the yard.
“Just a horse lover,” I reply.
from The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater
No comments:
Post a Comment