Friday, May 01, 2020

"Let's say I do," Rael answered. "Let's say I believe that someday there's going to be perfect balance in the Force, thanks to some kinda "Chosen One." Did you ever really think about what that would mean, Qui-Gon? It would mean the darkness would be just as strong as the light. So it doesn't matter what we do, because in the end, hey, it's a tie! It doesn't matter which side we choose."

Qui-Gon straightened and deactivated his blade. Rael took a step back, lowering his lightsaber but keeping it on.

"It matters," Qui-Gon said quietly. "It matters which side we choose. Even if there will never be more light than darkness. Even if there can be no more joy in the galaxy than there is pain. For every action we undertake, for every word we speak, for every life we touch -- it matters. I don't turn toward the light because it means someday I'll 'win' some sort of cosmic game. I turn toward it because it is the light."

Rael turned off his lightsaber then, but the contest wasn't completely over. "You've made mistakes, Qui-Gon. You've touched darkness."

"Yes, I have. No doubt I will again. This isn't a choice we make once and walk away from. It's the work of a lifetime." Qui-Gon headed for the door. Strangely, despite everything, he had found a greater sense of peace. "Take up that work again, Rael. Let yourself be guided by the Force."

From "Master and Apprentice" by Claudia Gray

No comments: