Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Characters
What I loved most about this movie is the characters. In my opinion, Makoto is a refreshing heroine: she has a strong character, but is also very reluctant about things. She's energetic but quiet. She knows who she is, but her doubts about herself inevitably surface, like what happens to all of us at times. She's a bit of a tomboy, but is very, very much a girl.

As for Makoto's friends Chiaki and Kousuke, they're established with such strength right smack in the beginning of the film that they manage to make you feel for them, whatever happens to them through the course of the story. Their on-screen presence is strong, whether they're doing something significant or just throwing a baseball.

These three main characters are very real, their chemistry is endearingly hilarious, and their relationship is close to the heart of anybody who's had friends.

I agree.
Some of my favourite parts are when they're just throwing around a baseball.
Unlike this reviewer, though, I like the ending.

No comments: